Tuesday, October 16, 2012

My First 5K + S.'s Birthday

This past weekend was awesome.  I mean, it goes down in the books awesome.  I had been planning a surprise way to celebrate S.'s birthday, and I couldn't be happier with how everything turned out. 
 
Saturday morning, S. and I did the Get Heeled 5K to raise money for the Lineburger Pediatric Cancer Center at UNC-CH.  Granted, it wasn't how he would prefer to start out his birthday celebration, but he wanted to support me as I ran my FIRST 5K.  It was definitely a tough run, and I had to walk for a few minutes, but considering I didn't train for a month before the race due to my concussion caused by the car accident and my trip to Thailand, I think it went pretty well.  Excited to sign up for my next one!
 
 
After the race, I told S. to pack his overnight bag but didn't tell him where we were going.  We didn't end up going far, but it was to our favorite place in NC: Raleigh!  We had lunch at The Pit (famous for their barbecue).  S. was a tinyyy bit grumpy hungry...
 
 
The Pit even had vegetarian tofu barbecue that was pretty yummy!  I think I'll try making it on my foreman though to aim for a more tender texture on the inside of the tofu.  The sides are creamed cheesy spinach and mac and cheese!
 
 
Later that afternoon, I surprised him with a visit to Raleigh Times, his favorite bar in Raleigh, where 19 of our friends came to celebrate his birthday with him!  I also made him dress in white, but he didn't know what for.  We ended up going to the Dayglow Concert at the Raleigh Amphitheater.  Dayglow (now Life in Color) is an awesome outdoor paint party with house/electronic music.  
 
 
None of us being huge house/electronic music fans, we were a bit skeptical, but it ended up being AWESOME.  We all had a great time, and the night will definitely be one we won't forget.  

No comments:

Post a Comment